Sustainable rehab marks first Canton project completed under Saint-Gobain and YouthBuild USA’s national partnership
Malvern, Pa., July 11, 2018 – Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest building materials companies and manufacturer of innovative material solutions, in partnership with YouthBuild Canton, operated by Project REBUILD, today announced the completed sustainable home renovation at 1714 Frazer Ave NW, which is aiming to achieve the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) LEED Platinum certification. Over three years, approximately 80 YouthBuild Canton students and the Saint-Gobain Corporation Foundation transformed this home into a model of affordable, sustainable living. Distinguished guests, including Councilman Nate Chester III and Victoria VanBuskirk, Field Representative for Congressman Bob Gibbs (OH-07), were on-site to recognize the students’ accomplishments during a ceremonial ribbon-cutting.
The Frazer Ave NW home is the first sustainable renovation completed in Canton under the national partnership between Saint-Gobain and YouthBuild USA in support of the nonprofit’s national green-building and job-training program. The program provides out-of-school young adults with the opportunity to build sustainable, energy-efficient and healthy homes in their communities, while gaining industry-recognized credentials and earning their high school equivalencies.
“YouthBuild USA’s partnership with Saint-Gobain provides our students with the opportunity to transform their own community through sustainable renovation projects while learning the skills needed to transform their lives,” said Joanna James, Executive Director at YouthBuild Canton/Project REBUILD. “With the completion of this home, the students now have a tangible example of the positive change they can create with their own two hands and leave this experience with the education and training to secure a career.”
The Saint-Gobain family of companies, led by CertainTeed Corporation, the company’s largest building materials subsidiary, provided building products to achieve the project’s energy efficiency, sustainability and affordability goals. In addition, Saint-Gobain employees spent nearly 130 hours ensuring the sustainability elements of the home.
“Due to the strong demand in our industry, at Saint-Gobain, we have to hire a significant number of people in the next three years, and we want the 15th generation of our company to embody the same attitudes as these YouthBuild students – agility, innovation and a genuine thirst for knowledge,” said Tom Kinisky, President and CEO of Saint-Gobain Corporation. “By working alongside YouthBuild students on the Frazer Ave NW home, we not only give back to the local community, but also invest in the future of these students by providing them with the training and education needed to secure an in-demand career.”
Products selected to help YouthBuild Canton achieve its energy-efficiency, sustainability, indoor environmental quality, affordability and comfort goals include:
- Roofing solutions from CertainTeed:
- Landmark Solaris® Cool Roof Shingles reflect the heat of the sun far better than traditional roofing shingles, lowering roof temperatures and reducing the energy consumption needed for cooling costs.
- FlintBoard® ISO Roofing Insulation can be used with hot-applied, cold-applied and self-adhered modified bitumen roofing systems. It delivers the highest resistance to heat transfer of any commercial roofing insulation material available to help keep a building’s interior cooler.
- Siding solutions from CertainTeed:
- Cedar Impressions® Individual 5” Sawmill Shingles featuring CedarLife™ Color Blends are the industry’s first polymer shingles featuring an innovative, blended color throughout with the sawmill texture of real cedar. CertainTeed makes it possible to choose the cedar appearance you prefer – freshly sawn or aged – and keep the look you choose forever.
- Monogram® Double 5” Clapboard Lap Siding is available in 45 colors and three styles. With the widest color spectrum in the vinyl siding industry, Monogram offers unparalleled versatility along with many industry firsts – RigidForm™ technology for reinforced performance, PermaColor™ for lifetime fade protection, TrueTexture™ for natural woodgrain finish and STUDfinder™ for precision installation.
- Restoration Millwork® Exterior Trim looks and feels like top-grade lumber, providing performance and aesthetic advantages that wood and other materials cannot match. Its broad range of profiles can be combined into design elements that highlight and add drama to entranceways, while framing windows with added flair.
- CertaWrap™ Premium Weather Resistant Barrier along with CertaTape™ provides an added layer of protection against air and moisture damage before the siding goes on.
- EverNew® Kingston Railing System is engineered to provide years of worry-free enjoyment. EverNew ensures long-lasting performance by building security into every railing system featuring heavy-duty construction for enduring strength. It is available in six colors to complement any deck color.
- Insulation solutions from CertainTeed:
- OPTIMA® Blown-in Insulation is specially designed for closed-cavity applications – giving homes a seamless, thermally efficient sound-reducing blanket that completely fills any void.
- A variety of drywall solutions from CertainTeed:
- AirRenew® Essential Drywall helps improve interior environments in residential and commercial construction. AirRenew Essential is part of the AirRenew Indoor air quality (IAQ) drywall family featuring industry-first formaldehyde-scavenging technology.
- AirRenew® M2Tech® Drywall is specially designed to offer a healthier living environment by helping to improve indoor air quality. AirRenew takes formaldehyde out of the air and converts it into a safe inert compound, and M2Tech technology provides enhanced moisture and mold resistance.
- SilentFX® Quickcut Drywall helps to enjoy more of the sounds you want to hear, less of the noise you don’t. SilentFX® QuickCut™ noise-reducing drywall reduces airborne sound transmission between rooms up to 90%.
- Flooring and masking products from Saint-Gobain subsidiary Norton Abrasives:
- Sanding discs are ideal for dry-sanding many surfaces where quality of finish is of primary importance.
- Floor pads are ideal for cleaning, stripping, buffing and polishing many floor types.
- Floor sanding sheets are pre-cut to meet manufacturers’ drum sander specs and are ideal for all phases of the job.
- Sandpaper sheets are ideal for hand-sanding both wet and dry, and are available in many shapes and sizes to accommodate various hand tools.
- Microfiber cloths save on labor, time and additional costs by trapping dirt, grime and liquids.
- Surface protection products clean and protect materials. These products include microfiber cloths, masking tapes, cleaners, polishers and more to keep surface areas clean and dust-free.
- Tapes & masking products are designed for maximum conformability and clean release.
The Saint-Gobain Corporation Foundation’s partnership with YouthBuild USA also supports green home renovation projects in three other communities where Saint-Gobain has business concentrations, including: Philadelphia, Pa.; Worcester, Mass.; and Schenectady, N.Y. For more information about Saint-Gobain Corporation Foundation’s partnership with YouthBuild USA, please visit www.buildingourfuturetogether.com.
Editor’s Note: Product images and a fact sheet can be provided upon request.
About Project REBUILD/YouthBuild Canton
Project REBUILD, Inc., the YouthBuild USA Affiliate in Canton, Ohio, was created as a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) in July 1999. The purpose of Project REBUILD is to re-engage out-of-school youth and support them as they work to obtain their high school diploma or GED and become job-ready while also constructing housing for low and moderate income individuals and families. Project REBUILD’s long term goal is to transform the lives of at-risk youth through education and job training so they may become educated, working, productive contributors to the community.
About YouthBuild USA
YouthBuild is celebrating 40 years of work advancing its mission to unleash the intelligence and positive energy of young people to transform their lives and rebuild their communities. YouthBuild USA is the global nonprofit support center for 360 local YouthBuild programs operating in 23 countries, with 260 programs in 44 U.S. states and 100 programs in 22 other countries. In YouthBuild programs, unemployed, low-income, and out-of-school young people ages 16 to 24 work toward their high school diploma or equivalency, while learning job skills by building affordable housing and other community assets in their neighborhoods and engaging in community service and leadership training. Proven effective by the most rigorous program evaluation research, YouthBuild’s comprehensive model gives graduates the confidence and tools they need to become strong, responsible and ethical young leaders. For more information, visit www.youthbuild.org.
About Saint-Gobain in North America Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest building materials companies and manufacturer of innovative material solutions, helps create great living spaces by combining comfort and sustainability. For more than three-and-a-half centuries, Saint-Gobain has been enhancing the wellbeing of people everywhere, whether it’s by addressing climate change, delivering true sustainable development, advancing the information revolution, participating in medical breakthroughs or playing a vital role in space exploration.
In North America, Saint-Gobain has approximately 150 locations and more than 15,000 employees. In the United States and Canada, Saint-Gobain reported sales of approximately $6.1 billion in 2017. Learn more about Saint-Gobain North America by visiting www.saint-gobain-northamerica.com and connect with Saint-Gobain North America on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
Brownstein Group on behalf of Saint-Gobain